Friday, July 23, 2010

Two Weeks In

Today makes two weeks since Laura and I stepped off the plane. It feels like it's been longer.

When we first got here, I was surprised at how my proficiency level in Japanese had jumped. However, it soon became apparent that it is still woefully insufficient. I understand so little still, but I've learned a lot since I got here. I have to remind myself that it's only been two weeks. When I remind myself of that, I feel confident that my proficiency level will be enough to carry a decent conversation by the time December rolls around.

We've been teaching some private lessons here and there, but the real work begins next week. We'll have English Summer Camp, which is an overnight thing. I'll be teaching the more advanced students. We'll have fun, I think.

After Summer Camp will be English Summer School, for which I am also excited, although we've done very little planning for that as yet.

These past two weeks, God has been drilling me with the parable of the Unmerciful Servant. I have been struggling with impatience with my partner, Laura, because of her inexperience and temperamental differences. She's a more slow, steady, thoughtful type of person, and that's been something of an irritant to me. But God's been using that parable to change me and remind me that it's not fair for me to be so critical and unmerciful, and that He expects me to be more gracious than that. As soon as I told Laura I was having that struggle, the feelings of irritation and impatience dissipated.

Pray for us, that God would keep us healthy and peaceable and give us the creativity we need to teach well.

No comments:

Post a Comment